Enhance the skills you are learning in private lessons, and enjoy music with new friends!
Fall Semester begins in September!
Read our reviews, or write one:
Chamber music is a great opportunity for students to work on leadership skills, rhythmic independence, intonation, and communication through music. Ensemble coaches will select music that is most appropriate for the music level of the ensemble. Music can range from the Baroque Era to the 20th Century. Open to strings, piano, woodwind, and brass. Examples of ensembles that can be formed include guitar, fiddle, celtic, harpsichord, folk harp, viola da gamba, and more!
Chamber ensembles meet with a faculty coach once per week for one hour. Most ensembles meet on Saturdays, although weekday groups are formed on occasion. Groups perform at least twice per year: once in January and once in May/June. Students are matched with other musicians who play at a similar level and are close in age.
Fall & Spring 2016-2017
Ages 9+ and Adults
Full Academic Year: September - May, plus multiple performances
Instructors: various Powers faculty
- Chamber/Fiddle/Contemporary/Other: rehearsal times to be determined by instructor, generally Saturdays between 12:00-5:00 pm
- Folk Harp: Thursdays, 7:45 - 8:45 pm (Lucy Joan Sollogub)
- Guitar: Wednesdays, 7:15 - 8:15 pm (Daniel Acsadi)
Tuition per year:
- Chamber: $827 per year
- Chamber Duo (30 min): $622 per year
- Chamber Duo (60 min): $1243 per year
- Please refer to our Music Immersion Packages webpage for discounts!
Ensembles are full-year programs, however, new students entering mid-year will receive prorated tuition.
Ensemble Placement Auditions:
Students interested in joining an ensemble should complete the following steps:
- Submit an online audition form here to schedule an individual placement audition. Once we have received your audition webform, our staff will contact you to schedule and confirm an audition time. If you are interested in the MYSP Orchestra program, please click here for more information.
- Pay your audition fee of $30 per student (waived for current Powers students who have paid their 2016-2017 annual registration fee).
To pay online: Click here to access ASAP, our online registration site (you will be asked to create an account).
To pay by check: Checks, made payable to Powers Music School, should be sent to Powers Music School, P.O. Box 398, Belmont, MA 02478. You may also pay by credit card by calling (617) 484-4696.
- Once we have received your audition webform and audition fee, a staff member will contact you to schedule and confirm your audition time. Please read our audition requirements below to prepare for your audition.
- You will be notified of placement shortly after your audition. Please complete and submit your registration and tuition payment within two weeks of acceptance. For those auditioning after the fiscal year has begun, your payment will include the annual $40 registration fee, and full prorated tuition for the ensemble program you were placed in, unless a payment plan has been arranged.
To register/pay online: Click here to access ASAP, our online registration site (you will be asked to create an account).
To register/pay by mail: Download and complete a 2016-2017 Registration Form, and a 2016-2017 Financial Aid Application if you are interested in applying for financial aid.
Ensemble Audition Requirements:
- Two contrasting pieces
- A couple scales of the student's choice