2024 Festival: Friday, Friday, April 5th-Sunday, April 7th
*Friday’s concert is for adults 19+
Application Deadline: Friday, February 23rd
How To Apply
Teachers will submit an application for each student participating in the festival, then pay the application fee for each non-Powers performer below. The application deadline is Friday, February 23rd.
Application Fee (Non-Powers Applicants)
Each non-Powers applicant must pay the $35 application fee for the festival.
*Please note: This year, we are offering a financial aid application fee waiver for low to moderate-income households. If the student’s family qualifies, please mark the appropriate checkbox on the application form above to be considered for a fee waiver.
2024 Festival Guidelines
- Total playing time must not exceed 5 minutes for beginner students, 7 minutes for intermediate students, and 10 minutes for advanced students. Students may play up to two individual pieces or two movements of a multi-movement work, within the time limit. Please note that Bach’s Prelude and Fugues are considered two movements. Repertoire that is submitted over the time or movement limit will need to be cut.
- Repertoire should come from the standard recital repertoire (no method books).
- Memorization is now a requirement for the Mildred Freiberg Piano Festival.
- The $35 application fee is required for EACH non-Powers performer. There is no fee for currently registered Powers students. If all performance slots fill up and we can no longer accept any additional performers, this fee will be returned to you.
- We offer financial aid to waive the application fee for any low to moderate-income households. Please mark the appropriate checkbox on the application if interested in this option.
- Please request a first-choice performance date that works best for you and your student (Friday slot for duos and ensembles only). Understand that you should be available to accept any assigned time on that date. Performance slots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis – Powers cannot grant any requests for specific performance times on the chosen date. No exceptions or changes for extracurricular activities, sporting events, or other conflicts.
- Performers are required to check in no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of their concert. Students who arrive late for the concert may not be able to perform. Performers must stay for the entire concert. Each concert will last approximately 1 hour. We encourage performers and their families and friends to stay after for a reception!
- As this is a special occasion, please look your best! Appropriate concert attire is required, as follows:
Dress, skirt, or dressy pants with a blouse or nice top.
Dress pants and a button-down shirt with a tie. Jackets or suits are appropriate but not required.
Jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and sandals are not permitted.
- If you have questions, Please contact Dr. Meghan Miller, Associate Director, at 617-484-4696 ext. 3 or email@example.com.
About the Mildred Freiberg Piano Festival
Now celebrating its 60th year, this weekend-long celebration consists of multiple concerts and performances by students from all over the region. This festival was the catalyst for the founding of our School in 1964 and has become a tradition for students in grades K-12.
Over the years, the festival concerts have celebrated both a student’s first performance and the exciting accomplishments of more mature artists. A variety of styles and teaching methods are presented through these performances in a non-competitive manner that stimulates the local music community.
In 2004, it was with great honor that we renamed this long-standing Belmont Piano Festival after Mildred P. Freiberg. Mildred Freiberg was a highly esteemed pianist, educator, and mentor to many and was a former Powers Music School Board President and one of the founders of our School.
Powers is committed to making music education and performance opportunities accessible to all who desire them. We strive to make the Piano Festival application process and the experience of the festival itself more accessible and welcoming through application fee waivers for low-to-moderate income households and live-streaming of our evening festival concerts.