A new home for Powers
We’re thrilled to share the news that Powers Music School will be moving to a new facility later this year!
The move will enable Powers to house all of its classes, lessons and performances under one roof – with spacious studios and plentiful free parking. It’s an ideal space that will give us room to grow and better serve our community well into the future.
FAQs about the move
Why is Powers moving?
We learned this past spring that one of our three current leases would not be renewed. In May, when we learned that the building at 160 Lexington was available, we felt it was a significant improvement over our current spaces and could serve as a great home for many years to come.
Where is Powers moving to?
Our new address will be 160 Lexington Street, Belmont, MA 02478, just 7 minutes away from our current location on Concord Avenue! This building was formerly home to Waldorf High School of Massachusetts Bay. Adventures Day Care also occupies the basement level of our new space.
When will the move happen?
While some office equipment and staff will begin transitioning in August, the big move that will affect classes and lessons won’t take place until later this fall, likely before winter break. Some modest alternations and freshening up of the new building are underway – until then, classes and lessons will take place in our current locations.
Will there be parking?
Yes! The new location comes with a large free parking lot. No more struggling to maneuver or find a space!
What about students who currently walk to Powers?
We know the move will change routines for many families. For some, it will be less convenient than our current space, while for others, the move will bring Powers closer. Given the challenge of finding any suitable real estate in Belmont, we felt the benefits of 160 Lexington far outweighed the minuses. The new building is the same distance from Chenery as we are now and one mile further away from the high school.
Will refunds be given if we can’t make the move work for us?
Our regular refund policy will be in effect. This means that continuing students have until September 1st to request a refund for the fall semester. After September 1st and until the day before the first lesson or class, a 50% refund will be given. On the day of the lesson or class and thereafter, no refunds will be given. We encourage everyone to consider their schedule for the coming year with the new space in mind from the beginning.
- Fall 2021 – Winter 2022: Initial renewal conversations with current lease holders. Survey of available alternatives in Belmont.
- Spring 2022: We learned that the lease at 396 Concord will not be renewed. Conversations with existing lease holders about alternatives within their facilities began.
- May 2022: We learned that property at 160 Lexington Street was available for lease.
- May-July 2022: Conversations with architect, contractors and code consultants over the scope of work needed to make Powers a suitable space for the foreseeable future.
- Late July 2022: Building permits issued and new lease signed.
- August 2022: 396 Concord Avenue vacated. Teaching facilities move to 404 Concord (First Church Parish Hall). Second floor offices move to 160 Lexington Street.
- September 2022: Classes and lessons begin at current facilities.
- Late Fall 2022-Early Winter 2023: Classes and lessons moved to 160 Lexington Street.
with Executive Director Gavin Farrell
Sunday, September 11, 1:30 – 4:30 pm
380 Concord Avenue, Belmont
at Powers’ Fall Open House
Gavin will be available at our Open House event throughout the afternoon to answer any additional questions you might have.