Powers is thrilled to continue this new partnership with the Belmont Public School system for 2019-2020!
Originally created and led by former Belmont Public Schools music teacher John McLellan, Saturday Morning Music School provides small group instruction on string and band instruments to students at the Burbank, Butler, Wellington, Winn Brook, and Chenery public schools in Belmont.
Why should you register for SMMS?
The Saturday program complements the music classes, group instruction, bands, orchestra, and ensembles already provided during school hours. Excelling in music and the arts has been proven to help students also excel in school and other areas of learning and development. Powers encourages students to take advantage of a mix of different ensemble, orchestra, band, and group opportunities in addition to weekly private lessons.
- Group instrumental class – $230
- String Orchestra – $100 (students must also enroll a Group Instrumental class)
- Jazz Workshop – $125 (students must also enroll a Group Instrumental class)
- Chamber Ensemble – $125 (students must also enroll a Group Instrumental class)
Saturday Morning Music School programs will meet on the following days:
- October 5, 12, 19, 26
- November 2, 9, 16, 23
- December 7
- December 14 concert
- January 4, 11, 18, 25
- February 1, 8, 29
- March 7, 14,
- March 21 concert (March 29 snow date)
All programs will still be held at Chenery Middle School, 95 Washington Street, Belmont.
Registration can be completed on this webpage – please click on the class you want to register for below, which will allow you to register online through our ASAP site (you will be asked to create an account).
The Belmont Scholars program enables students who qualify for waivers of the BHS Instrumental Music Program fee, the BHS Fine and Performing Arts fee, and/or the Chenery Middle School Fine Arts, Athletics, and Activities fee in Belmont Public Schools to also qualify for private lesson and Saturday Morning Music School scholarships at Powers Music School.
Scholarships will be granted to private lesson students through an application process based on household size and income limits. Applications are processed through Belmont Public Schools. Please click here to view the fee waiver guidelines, process, and application. Once you receive notice that your family qualifies for fee waivers, please present that notification to us upon registration at Powers.
Classes & Programs
Subject to change
String Instrument Classes
9:00-10:00 am – 4th grade and beginning 5th grade students
- Beginning Violin Group Lesson, with Allison Dobbs
- Beginning Violin Group Lesson, with Amy Beshara
- Beginning Viola Group lesson, with Haley Leach
- Beginning Viola Group lesson, with Wenran Meng
- Beginning Cello Group lesson, with Ethan Fallis
- Beginning Bass Group lesson, with Jim Guttmann
10:00-11:00 am – 5th and 6th grade students with at least one year of experience
- Continuing Violin Group Lesson, with Allison Dobbs
- Continuing Viola Group Lesson, with Haley Leach
- Continuing Cello Group Lesson, with Ethan Fallis
- Continuing Bass Group Lesson, with Jim Guttmann
Band Instrument Classes
9:00-10:00 am – beginning 5th & 6th graders
- Beginning Flute Group lesson, with Mary Cunningham
- Beginning Clarinet Group lesson, with Nalani Fujiwara
- Beginning Saxophone Group lesson, with Nalani Fujiwara
- Beginning Oboe/Bassoon Group lesson, with Mary Cicconetti
- Beginning French Horn Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Beginning Trumpet Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Beginning Low Brass Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Beginning Percussion Group lesson, with Michael Weinfield-Zell
10:00-11:00 am – 6th graders with at least one year of experience
- Continuing Flute Group lesson, with Mary Cunningham
- Continuing Clarinet Group lesson, with Nalani Fujiwara
- Continuing Saxophone Group lesson, with Nalani Fujiwara
- Continuing Oboe/Bassoon Group lesson, with Mary Cicconetti
- Continuing French Horn Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Continuing Trumpet Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Continuing Low Brass Group lesson, with Ryan Noe
- Continuing Percussion Group lesson, with Michael Weinfield-Zell
10:00-11:00 am – 4th grade and beginning 5th grade students
11:00am-12:00pm – continuing 6th graders on any instrument
11:00am-12:00pm – continuing students on any instrument
- Click here to register (Students must also enroll in a group class)