July 20-24, 2020
Fiddling on the Hill is a full day, one week strings camp for string students ages 9-14 (and CITs ages 15-18). Students will explore the challenging fun of fiddle and “new string” styles, learning music by ear, improvising, arranging, and composing their own music.
“Fiddling” allows players to grow musically in new ways, introducing and developing skills they might not experience in a traditional classical or orchestral setting, such as:
- Learning by ear and by reading sheet music
- Improvising and taking creative risks
- Finding and using rhythm and “groove”
- Understanding chord progressions underlying the melody
- Group playing that emphasizes collaboration, arranging, and harmonies
- Crafting a sense of individual style and expression
- Building the foundations for a lifetime of music playing and musical friendships within the vibrant and thriving Boston area fiddling community… and beyond!
Who can fiddle?
We welcome all violin, viola, cello, guitar, mandolin, banjo, or ukulele students ages 9-14. Participants should have been playing for one year or more, feel ready to learn a few new tunes in the span of a week, and be excited to try something new! Whether you’ve been fiddling for years or just want to see what it’s all about, there’s something for you!
A CIT program is available for fiddlers 15-18 who wish to assist with the younger classes. CITs will have the opportunity to perform in an advanced ensemble directed by one of our teachers.
What will the week be like?
Our renowned instructors will spend a week working with young fiddlers to hone the skills that allow creative freedom, innovative playing, and fun!
Mornings will be spent learning repertoire and styles such as Scottish, Irish, and American folk traditions. After a break for lunch, the afternoon will be spent on elective class choices and outdoor or free time. We end the day working in our ensembles, where we take what we’ve learned, flesh it out, arrange it, add some spice, and make it sing!
Summer 2020 Information:
July 20 – 24, 2020
Monday – Friday, 8:45 am – 4:00 pm
Late pick-up option available (check back to register for this option)
Concert on Friday, July 24
Ellery Klein, Artistic Director